Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Entry 3: Looking for Alaska

  I have finished the book, Looking for Alaska. One thing that I really enjoyed about this novel was the ability for the author to easily hook me as a reader. There are not many moments of foreshadowing in this book, but the few that are there are very important. I believe that kept me on my toes. Not knowing exactly what something meant made me want to dig further into this reading. Throughout the book I was hooked, however right at the beginning I knew I was interested.

  The section of the novel I will be sharing is from page five, right before Miles started attending Culver Creek. Miles says at the bottom of page five; '"So this guy"', I said; standing in the doorway of the living room, '"Francois Rabelais."' He was a great poet, and his last words were "'I go to seek a great perhaps"', that's why I'm going. So I don't have to wait until I die to start seeking a great perhaps. I was after a great perhaps, and they knew as well as I did that I am going to find it." This particular section of the novel hooked me. I believe it is very important to be hooked within the first 20 pages of a novel, or else you will not want to continue reading. This section allowed me to really think and ask questions, get to know my character, and interest me to understand what exactly he considered his "great perhaps."

      This quote was early on in the novel so it helped me understand Miles a lot better. It helped me to understand his passion for last words, and not only passion but desire to put them into action. This showed me he is determined. Secondly it interested me and allowed me to ask myself questions.  What was this great perhaps? Why was he trying to find it? How will he knew if he found it? These are the types of questions that came to my mind while reading this short paragraph of text. From page five on I was actively reading to find out if he would find his great perhaps.
   
     After finishing this novel and watching Miles change so much I do believe he found his great perhaps. Some may disagree because things turned out a lot differently than he planned at Culver Creek, but you will have to read it and see if you believe that Miles did indeed find what he was searching for.

No comments:

Post a Comment