I am so glad that I chose the book, Looking for Alaska. It caught by attention right away, not because of the title necessarily, but because of the author. I am not usually opinionated about authors of books, however once I saw this book was by John Green I immediately was interested.When deciding my summer reading choice I searched books written by John Green. I first was introduced to John Green when the Fault in Our Stars came out. After reading Looking for Alaska, I am very pleased with my choice.
I found myself constantly making personal connections to this novel. All of the characters changed so much throughout this book. I really enjoyed seeing that, because they weren't huge changes however the little ones really added up in the end. This reminds me of myself. I thought of Miles first day at Culver creek like my first day of high school. I believe that my personality has not changed however my interest and my friend groups didn't turn out how I expected. I went into high school with one best friend and came out with a huge group of completely different ones. I went into high school playing one sport and came out playing another. I am happy with the changes, however just like miles I feel I am still searching for my great perhaps.
I completely loved this book, I was in love with the structure, the word choice, and the constantly captivating details. Therefore I would encourage anyone and everyone to read this book. However if I had to choose I would say sophomores, because this novel took place in a high school. I believe they should all read it because it allows them to decide for themselves what their great perhaps is. It questions you and makes you determined to dig deeper in your own life. It also teaches many lessons along the way. It is not the boring kind that teenagers don't care to listen to, they are just little things that really make you think and analyze your own life. Who really are you? Who do you want to be? Those are two questions I have been thinking about after actively reading this novel. I am on the search for my great perhaps, and I hope that others are too.
No comments:
Post a Comment