Miles is very interesting. Right away I was told that he desires peoples last words. Miles main reason for moving to Culver Creek school was in search for his own "great perhaps". So miles main focus and desires are to find what he has been looking for, even if he doesn't know exactly what it entails. Next there is Alaska who would be described as a beautiful yet wild girl. She doesn't seem to have many goals according to her friends however I have noticed that she desires attention, and if she gets that through trouble then she will do it anyway. I believe Alaska also desires to not get in any more trouble at Culver Creek. They have let most of her mishaps slide, but one more could lead to a lot of trouble. As you know, Chip is very outgoing and opinionated. Chip comes from a very poor background and desires to break away from that. He doesn't want his past to define him, however he does not want to become a snobby rich kid , as he describes them. Tukumi always seems to drift to the back and not necessarily always be apart of everything that goes on. He desires to fit in. He is constantly being left out especially by chip and Alaska. They are not mean to him, however they aren't that nice to him either. Lara is a little bit more quiet however she is willing to do anything to help someone out, even if it makes her look bad. She is great friends with all of the main characters and she desires to transition well from her old life, despite her much different Romanian background. Next there is Dr. Hyde which we soon learn is very passionate about his work and teachings. He doesn't just want to tell people about different religions he desires for the students to embrace each worldwide religion and to also help him spread them. The other teacher, Mr. Starnes is a little bit different. He is very old and has many health problems. His students refer to him as "ancient", and also play many pranks on him throughout the book. Overall I believe he desires respect and also better health.
I believe that there are many themes so far in the book, but what I have seen is not all of them. I think we will continue to discover themes towards the end of the book as well. The main themes so far are friendship, love, independence, and self discovery. The theme of friendships was a theme I noticed right away. As the characters were introduced, the reader was shown who was good friends and who wasn't in the "clique" as much. I believe it plays a key role in the story and without the growing friendships and changing friendships the characters wouldn't be able to get through life. They seem to always help each other out, and without that there time at Culver Creek would not be easy. Love is introduced throughout the book as well. Alaska always talked about her boyfriend towards the beginning of the book and how in love she is with him. We later meet the guy of her dreams and instantly see that they do really love each other. Also miles gets his little love story... and by little, I mean little. Lara and miles dated for a very short time but throughout that time became really close. After dating they went back to being friends. All of the characters embrace the theme of independence. They all have different backgrounds and especially for miles being all alone in a new place really forced him to be independent immediately. Self discovery is also something that I have seen a lot of with these characters. I believe its just the beginning of there discovery and by the end they will all know exactly who they are. So far they have each learned something about themselves that they never thought they would and in the end maybe it won't just be miles that finds his "great perhaps".
No comments:
Post a Comment