Monday, June 30, 2014

Entry One: Looking for Alaska

 I have chosen to read the book Looking for Alaska by John Green. I am almost 100 pages into the novel and have been introduced to major characters, conflicts, settings, and more.

 The first character that I was introduced to immediately in the book was Miles Halter. He is the main character in this book and is also the major protagonist. Shortly after getting to know Miles I was introduced to Chip Martin, who is miles new roommate. The third major character that was introduced to was Alaska Young. She also plays a key role in the book as being chips best friend. Next I was introduced to Takumi Hikohito who is also a good friend of Alaska and Chip. Once Miles starts to attendant his new school, I am then introduced to Mr. Starnes and Dr. Hyde. These are two of the teachers at Culver creek. Most recently I have been introduced to Lara Buterskaya who I do not yet know much about. I am eager to continue reading and discuss the complexity of these characters.

 This book has more than one setting. It begins in Miles hometown of Florida. After leaving Florida, Miles travels to the hot and humid Alabama. In Alabama he attends the boarding school of Culver Creek Preparatory School in Birmingham. Culver Creek is the major setting where this intriguing novel unravels.

  While reading Looking for Alaska I have found little conflicts emerging but nothing major has taken place yet. (Key word "yet.") For example when Miles is tied up and pushed into a nearby lake was a small yet unexpected conflict. Although throughout this book I find the there is some person vs. self conflict with some of the characters and mainly Miles. I have noticed that Miles tries to fit and doesn't know how. It is as if he is playing two different characters leading to some person vs. self conflict.

 Making predictions can be complex thoughts, however they can also be very simple yet important. The title of this novel is Looking for Alaska but I'm not sure why. I predict that Alaska will go missing. She will not tell anyone where she is or what she's up to. There is some foreshadowing that she is depressed so I believe she leaves the life she knows to go somewhere else. Maybe temporarily or maybe long term, but with her mysteries ways I am not sure what will happen. I am excited to figure out the true meaning behind the title.

 I have thought of a few questions while reading but one that keeps crossing my mind is does the author "John Green" Have people in mind when creating these characters and events?  Although it is a fictional book I wonder if he knows someone like the characters, I also wonder if he sees himself as one of the characters in the book. If he did create one of the characters with similar characteristics to himself who would it be? I'm not sure if I will ever get this answer however, with further reading and research I might get some clues.

 As far as making connections I believe I have a similar characteristics that miles does. He remembers everyone's last words, and while I'm not that gifted last words do linger in my head. It usually is for my benefit but sometimes I wish I could forget them,  just like Miles.

 So far this novel is very interesting and I am determined and excited to see what happens next. I am hoping to be able to make more connections and feel even more involved with this book as I get deeper into the storyline.





No comments:

Post a Comment